Utah Regional Ballet, currently in residence at Utah Valley University, is pleased to announce our 8th annual Choreography Design Competition, which is supported by the Orem City C.A.R.E grant, UVU Department of Dance, and UVU School of the Arts. The program is designed to give talented dance professionals and students a forum for cultivating the art of choreography. Choreography Design Competition is a wonderful example of URB’s commitment to mentor and develop professional artists. Participants will have opportunities for collaboration in order to produce new works of quality innovation and impact. Choreographers will be adjudicated and selected to create/set works on Utah Regional Ballet Company dancers for the Choreography Design Competition performance, FEBRUARY 26 and 27, 2016.
There are three categories from which two choreographers each will be selected:
- Emerging Division - students who have not yet been paid for their choreography
- Pre-Professional Division - currently enrolled in an elite training program or institution of Higher Education, and have not had works performed in more than 3 public programs.
- Professional Division - experienced professional choreographers, educators and/or professional dancers.
The proposed NEW works can be classical or contemporary in style, and approximately 8-10 minutes in length. Choreographers must be available to work with URB Company dancers February 8-20 to set choreography, February 22-27, for dress/staging rehearsals and performance. Rehearsal days and schedules will be arranged with each choreographer. The following is a sample schedule:
- Choreographers #1 & 2 M-W-F 90 minutes each between 10:00-11:30 a.m. or 11:30-1 UVU
- Choreographers #3 & 4 T-TH 90 minutes each between 10:00-11:30 a.m. or 11:30-1 UVU
- Emerging Choreographers #5 & 6 M-W 4:30-6 p.m. and Sat. 12:30-2 Lindon Studios
Judges will be Professionals in the field of Dance NOT affiliated with Utah Valley University.
To apply please submit a copy of the attached application to Utah Regional Ballet, detailing your plan, choreographic intent, and music to be used. Professional Division & Pre-Professional Division must submit a DVD or link, with a sample of choreography. Emerging choreographers only need a letter of recommendation from a teacher or Company Director.
Rules for Application:
- Choreographer must be available for rehearsals with dancers. All schedules are arranged after choreographers have been selected.
- A pre-elimination round will be completed by January 8, 2016. All Finalists will be notified and rehearsal schedules completed by February 1, 2016
- Independent Professionals will judge all rounds of the competition.
- NoPrevious winner from the 2014-2015 competition is eligible to apply.
- Choreographers must be in attendance at both performances. The awards performance is Feb 27, 2015.
- The Company Artistic Director will determine all casting with the choreographers.
Please send application to: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: December 19, 2015.
Awards will be announced at the Saturday evening performance. Scholarship/Awards-Emerging Division- $250.00-Pre-Professional Division- $500.00 -Professional Division $1000.00.
For Further information contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org 801-863-7480.
Artistic Director/ Utah Regional Ballet/Utah Valley University
DEADLINES AND SCHEDULE:
December 19, 2015 Applications submitted to Utah Regional Ballet
January 8, 2016 Semi-Finalists notified
January 13, 2016 Semi-Finalist workshop with Company Dancers
February 1, 2016 Finalists notified and rehearsal schedule arranged.
February 8-20, 2016 Rehearsal period for finalists
February 22-27, 2016 Stage rehearsal /performance week.
February 26-27, 2016 Performance - Ragan Theater, UVU campus.